Structures & Composites
Ph.D. Structures Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986.
Contact Info - Office:
368E Clyde Building
David W. Jensen
Professor/Director, Center for Advanced Structural Composits
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||PhD, Structures Technology (Aero/Astro), 1986.|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||SM, Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1981.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil Engineering, 1980, cum laude.|
- Associate Chair, Civil Engineering, BYU, (2012-2015)
- Professor, Civil Engineering, BYU, (1999-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil Engineering, BYU, (1993-1999)
- Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State Univ., (1991-1993)
- Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State Univ., (1986-1991)
- Professional Development Leave, Rocky Mountain Composites, (2008-2009)
- Consistent involvement in professional organizations in technical areas
- Regular interaction with industry through consulting and sponsored research programs
- Civil Emergency Response Team (CERT) Certified (2005)
Consulting and Patents
- Consultant DER (Designated Engineering Representative), Structures, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Review and approve engineering data for certification of FAR parts 23, 25, 27, & 29 aircraft structures, (1999-present)
- Industrial Consultant on Advanced Structural Composites, (1986-present)
- Patent - “IsoTruss®,” Jensen, D.W., U.S. Trademark No. 2,821,939, registered Mar. 16, 2004 (also registered in Australia, 2005)
- Patent - “Method and Apparatus for Fabricating Complex, Composite Structures from Continuous Fibers,” Jensen, D.W., U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 60/313,291, filed Aug. 17, 2001
- Patent - “IsoTruss Structure,” Jensen, D.W., PCT International Patent Application No. PCT/US01/23636, filed Jul. 27, 2001 (also issued to date in China, India and South Africa)
- Patent - “Three Dimensional Iso-Truss Structure,” Francom, L.R. and Jensen, D.W., U.S. Patent No. 5,921,048, issued Jul. 13, 1999; PCT International Patent No. WO 98/45556, issued Oct. 15, 1998 (also issued in Australia, Brazil, China, Europe (EPO), Hong Kong, Korea, Russia, and Ukraine)
States in Which Professionally Licensed
- Professional Engineer, State of Utah, #5151205-2202, (2005-present)
- Designated Engineering Representative, FAA, #DERT-636025-NM, (1999-present)
Principal Publications Within The Last Five Years
- Embley, M. D., D. W. Jensen, D. N. Allen, C. Garvin, and M. J. Jensen, “Buckling Strength of Damaged Unidirectional Basalt Composite Rods Consolidated With Braided Sleeves,” Proceedings of the SAMPE TECH 2011 Conference, SAMPE, Fort Worth, TX, 15 pp., Oct. 17- 20, 2011.
- Allen, D. N., D. W. Jensen, M. D. Embley, C. Garvin, and M. J. Jensen, “Compression Strength After Impact of Basalt Fiber Members in an Aramid Sleeve,” Proceedings of the SAMPE TECH 2011 Conference, SAMPE, Fort Worth, TX, 12 pp., Oct. 17-20, 2011.
- Jensen, M. J., A. D. Howcroft, and D. W. Jensen, “Design of an IsoTruss Aircraft Strut,” Proceedings of the SAMPE TECH 2011 Conference, SAMPE, Long Beach, CA, 8 pp., May 23- 26, 2011.
- Jensen, D.W., Rollins, K.M., Ferrell, M., and McCune, D., “Flexural Behavior of Composite IsoTruss Reinforced Concrete Piles.” Procs. Geo-Congress 2008: Geosustainability and Geohazard Mitigation, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 178, ASCE, 2008, p. 923-930.
- Rackliffe, M.E., Jensen, D.W. and Lucas, W.K., “Local and Global Buckling of Ultra-Light IsoTruss® Structures,” Journal of Composites Science, and Technology, Special issue: Experimental Techniques and Design in Composite Materials - Edited by M. Quaresimin, Elsevier, Vol 66/2, pp 283-288.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Fellow, ASCE
- President, ASCE Central Utah Branch, (2007-2008)
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- AIAA Director-Technical, Structures Design and Test Group, (2004-present)
- As an elected member of the Board of Directors of AIAA, I oversee 7 Technical Committees.
Honors and Awards
- Modern Marvels Invent Now Challenge Semi-Finalist, (2007)
- Recognized as one of 25 semi-finalists (out of over 3,300 inventions considered) for invention of “Continuous Fabrication of Complex Composite IsoTruss® Structures” in the 2007 Modern Marvels Invent Now Challenge sponsored by the History Channel.
- AIAA Sustained Service Award, (2006)
- Stoel-Rives Utah Innovation Award, (2003)
- 1st Place, Innovation of the Year, Mechanical Devices and Advanced Materials Category, for development of “IsoTruss® Grid Structures.”
- Outstanding Achievement in Technology Transfer Award, BYU, (2002)
- Boeing - A. D. Welliver Faculty Summer Fellowship, Seattle, WA, (1995)
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- Director, Center for Advanced Structural Composites, (1998-present)
- Faculty Advisory Committee, BYU, (2003–2006, 2010-2014); Co-Chair (2012-2014)
- Faculty Compensation Committee, Co-Chair, BYU, (2004–2006)
- Faculty Recruitment and Social Environment Committee, Co-Chair, BYU, (2003–2004)
- Associate Department Chair (2012-present)