Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Texas, 1990.
Contact Info - Office:
242L Clyde Building
Norman L. Jones
|University of Texas at Austin||PhD, Civil Engineering, 1990.|
|University of Texas at Austin||MS, Civil Engineering 1988.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil Engineering, 1986.|
- Professor, Civil and Env. Engineering, BYU, (2002-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Env. Engineering, BYU, (1997-2002)
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Env. Engineering, BYU, (1991-1997)
- Consistent involvement in professional organizations
- Instructor of numerous short courses and seminars
- High-profile consulting projects
Consulting and Patents
- Expert witness for ground water contaminant case, Montana (2003)
- Expert witness for ground water contaminant case, Utah (2003-2004)
- Peer review panel for regional simulation model, Florida (2005)
- Groundwater model for proposed power plant, Nevada (2007-8)
- Groundwater model for industrial site, Utah (2007-8)
- Sacramento Regional Groundwater model (2009-2010)
- Modeling in support of state well-permitting program for the Virginia DEQ (2009-present)
- Groundwater Modeling System Software Development (1992-present)
- Arc Hydro Groundwater data model and tools (2004-present)
States in which Professionally Licensed
Principal Publications in the Last Five Years
- Jones, Norman L., Trevor J. Budge, Alan K. Zundel, Alan M. Lemon, "Generating MODFLOW grids from boundary-representation solid models," Ground Water, Vol. 40, No. 2, March-April 2002, pp. 194-200.
- Jones, Norman L., R.J. Davis, W. Sabbah, “A comparison of 3D interpolation techniques for plume characterization,” Ground Water, Vol. 41, No. 4, July-August 2003, pp. 411-419.
- Lemon, A.M., N.L. Jones, “Building solid models from boreholes and user-defined cross-sections,” Computers and Geosciences, Vol. 29, No. 5, June, 2003, pp 547-555.
- Jones, N.L., 2002, “Using transition probability geostatistics with MODFLOW,” Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modelling: A Few Steps Closer to Reality (Proceedings of ModelCARE’2002,Prague, Czech Republic, 17–20 June 2002). IAHS Publ. no. 277, pp. 359–364.
- Jones, N.L., J.I. Green, and J.R. Walker, “Stochastic inverse modeling for capture zone analysis,” Groundwater Quality Modeling and Management Under Uncertainty, Proceedings of the Symposium, EWRI Congress, June 23-26, 2003, Philadelphia, Pa., Srikanta Mishra, Ed., American Society of Civil Engineers, pp. 1-12.
- Jones, Norman L., J.R. Walker, & S.F. Carle, “Hydrogeologic unit flow characterization using transition probability geostatistics,” accepted for publication in Ground Water Journal.
- Wallace, R.M., A. Byrd, C. Butler, N. Jones, R. Jones, “Generic Model Data Format”, Proceedings of the European Simulation Interoperability Workshop 2005, Toulouse France. June. (document # 05E-SIW-046).
- Jones, Norman L., T.P. Clement, C.H. Hansen, “A Three-Dimensional Analytical Modeling System for Risk Assessment at Chlorinated Solvent Sites,” Ground Water, Vol. 44, No. 5, July-August 2006, pp. 613-617.
- R. Wallace, K. Pathak, J. P. Holland, D. Stuart, C. Butler, D. R. Richards, M. Fife, N. L. Jones and J. Harris, “Information infrastructure for integrated ecohydraulic and water resources modeling and assessment”, Journal of Hydroinformatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, 2006, pp 317-333.
- Strasberg G., D.R. Maidment, N.L. Jones, “A geographic data model for representing ground water systems,” Ground Water, Vol. 45, No. 4, July-August 2007, pp. 515-518.
- Jones N.L., and G. Strassberg, “The Arc Hydro MODFLOW data model”, Water Resources Impact, Vol. 10, Num 1, January 2008, pp. 17-19.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- National Groundwater Association
Honors and Awards
- 2001 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize
The American Society of Civil Engineers awards this prize annually to four outstanding researchers age 40 or younger.
- 2002 College of Engineering & Technology Special Commendation Award
I received this award in recognition of my efforts in successfully guiding our department through the ABET re-accreditation process as the Undergraduate Coordinator.
- 2003 Brigham Young University Technology Transfer Award
Awarded for many years of success in technology transfer. Co-recipient with Jim Nelson and Alan Zundel. At the time of the award, our software was the most successful tech transfer project in BYU history.
- 2007 Utah Engineering Educator of the Year
Awarded by the Utah Chapter of the American Council of Engineering Companies
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- Director, Environmental Modeling Research Laboratory (1998-present)
- College Advancement in Rank Committee (2009-present)
- Chair of the Dept. Faculty Committee (2006-2009)
- Dept. Undergraduate Coordinator (2000-2006)