Hydraulics & Water Resources
Ph.D. University of Minnesota, Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering, 1989.
Contact Info - Office:
368C Clyde Building
Rollin H. Hotchkiss
|University of Minnesota||PhD, Civil Engineering, 1989.|
|Utah State University||MS, Civil Engineering 1979.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil Engineering, 1976.|
Principal Publications in the Last Five Years
- Coker, E. Howard, Rollin H. Hotchkiss, and Dennis A. Johnson. 2008. Conversion of a Missouri River dam and reservoir to a sustainable system: sediment management. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 45(4): 815-827.
- Morrison, Ryan, M., Rollin H. Hotchkiss, Mark C. Stone, David Thurman, and Alex R. Horner-Devine. 2009. Turbulence Characteristics of Flow in a Spiral Corrugated Culvert Fitted with Baffles and Implications for Fish Passage. Ecological Engineering 35(3): 381-392, March.
- Thiele, Elizabeth A., Rollin H. Hotchkiss, and Philip L. Thompson. 2009. Discussion of “Hydraulic performance curves for highway culverts.” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 135(3): 242-244, March
- Hotchkiss, Rollin H., Elizabeth L. Thiele, and E. James Nelson. 2008. Culvert hydraulics: comparison of current computer programs and recommendations for improvement. Transportation Research Record No. 2060, pp. 141-152.
- Stone, Mark C. and Rollin H. Hotchkiss. 2007. Evaluating velocity measurement techniques in shallow streams. Journal of Hydraulic Research 45(6): 752-762.
- Stone, Mark C. and Rollin Hotchkiss. 2007. Turbulence descriptions in two cobble-bed reaches. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 133(12): 1367 – 1378, December.
- Conroy, W.J., R.H. Hotchkiss, and W.J. Elliot. 2006. A coupled upland-erosion and instream hydrodynamic sediment transport model for evaluating sediment transport in forested watersheds Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 49(6): 1713 – 1722.
- Huffaker, R., and R. Hotchkiss. 2006. Economic dynamics of reservoir sedimentation management: optimal control with singularly perturbed equations of motion. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 30(2006): 2553-2575.
- Thimmes, Amanda, Ray Huffaker, and Rollin Hotchkiss. 2005. A law and economics approach to resolving reservoir sediment management conflicts. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41(6): 1449-1456.
- Hotchkiss, Rollin H., Emily A. Larson, and David M. Admiraal. 2005. Energy dissipation in culverts by forced hydraulic jump within a barrel. Transportation Research Record No. 1904, pp. 124 – 132.
- Ira A. Fulton Professorship in Leadership, College of Engineering and Technology, Brigham Young University (2010 – Present)
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (2005-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, (1998-2005)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, (1995 – 1998)
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, (1989 – 1995)
- Civil Engineer, Flood Protection Branch, Tennessee Valley Authority, (1979-1985)
- Consistent involvement in professional organizations in technical and educational areas
- Teaching professional short courses in culvert and river hydraulics
- Occasional consulting
Consulting and Patents
- Expert Witness for flooding issues, (1995-present)
- Development of Culvert Design Procedures, (2007 - present)
- Stream Restoration (2010 – present)
States in which Professionally Licensed
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers and International Association of Hydraulic Research
- Organizing Committee for 33rd Congress of IAHR, 2009 in Vancouver, B.C.
- Technical Program Co-Chair, 2000 ASCE Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty Teacher, voted by students, 2008, 2009
- Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology Excellence in Education Award, 2006
- Leon Luck Most Effective Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, 2005
- Reviewer’s Award, Hydro Review, 2005
- Nominated for Advisor of the Year, 2004
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- President Elect, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), October 2009 - Present
- Vice President, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), October 2008 – September 2009
- Treasurer, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), (October 2007 – September 2008)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Committee on the Missouri River Recover and Associated Sediment Management Issues, 2008 – 2010.
- Secretary General, International Coordinating Committee on Reservoir Sedimentation (ICCORES), (1993 – present)
- Member, UNESCO Task Force on International Sedimentation Initiative, (2001 – present)
- Member, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Governing Documents Committee, (2006 – 2009)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, (1997 – 2008)
- Vice Chair and Secretary, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Technical Executive Committee, (2005 – 2008)
- Member, Transportation Research Board Committee AFB60, Hydrology, Hydraulics, and Water Quality, (1996 – 2008)
- Member, Task Committee on Sediment Dynamics upon Dam Removal, (2001 – 2006)
- Chair, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Watershed Council, (2003 – 2006)
- Member, Leadership Committee, BYU College of Engineering and Architecture, (2005 – present)
- Associate Department Chair,(2006 – 2012)
- Department Chair (2012-Present)