Hydraulics & Hydrology
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1975.
Contact Info - Office:
368L Clyde Building
A. Woodruff Miller
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Stanford University||PhD, Civil Engineering, 1975.|
|Stanford University||MS, Civil Engineering 1970.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil Engineering, 1969.|
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (1987-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (1978-1987)
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (1974-1978)
- Involvement in professional organizations in technical and educational areas
- Interaction with industry through sponsored research programs
- Professional practical and educational consulting
Consulting and Patents
- Reviewer and author for water resources engineering studies, (1975-present)
- Hydraulic, hydrologic and water quality engineering consultant, (1975-present)
States in Which Professionally Licensed
Principal Publications in the Last Five Years
- Hansen, Carly, Gus P Williams, and A Woodruff Miller. "Regional Scale Application of Remote-Sensing Chlorophyll Detection Models and Analysis of North-Central Utah Region." North American Lake Management Society (NALMS) 33rd International Symposium. San Diego, CA: North American Lake Management Society, 2013.
- Miller, A Woodruff and Everett James Nelson. "Methods to Evaluate Floods on a Burned Watershed." WIT Press 1.4 (2012): 376 - 388. <www.witpress.com>
- Christensen, Tatevik T, Everett James Nelson, Fernando S Fonseca, and A Woodruff Miller. "Enhancing the Civil Engineering Capstone Program Through On- Campus Internships and Graduate Student Mentors." Proceedings of the 2013 ASEE Conference. ASEE, 2013.
- Miller, A Woodruff and Walid Sabbah. Evaluation of Water Budget for the Western Aquifer Basin in the West Bank, Palestine. 2012.
- Miller, A Woodruff and Walid Sabbah. "Updated Water Budget for the Western Aquifer Basin and Potential for Agricultural Development in the West Bank, Palestine." Conference on Water Crisis and Agricultural Development in Palestine. Conference Proceeding, Tulkarm, Palestine, May 2012.
- Borup, Michael Brett, Gordon K Liljenquist, A Woodruff Miller, and Gus P Williams. "Water Quality in Utah Lake Tributaries Over Forty Years." Environmental Scient and Technology 2012 Volume 1. Eds. George Sirial and Jihua Hong. Vol. 1. Houston, TX: American Science Press, 2012: 9-14.
- Fonseca, Fernando S, Steven Edward Benzley, Everett James Nelson, and A Woodruff Miller. "Development of an Engineering Management MS Option coupled with Undergraduate Culminating Design." 2011 ASEE Proceedings. American Society of Engineering Educators, 2011.
- Miller, A. W., International Conference on Energy, Water and Environment (ICEWE 2010), "Monitoring and Classifying Trophic States of Selected Lakes in Yellowstone Park, USA," International Association for Sharing Knowledge and Sustainability (IASKS), Amman, Jordan. (December 2010).
- Miller, A Woodruff. "Trophic state evaluation for selected lakes in Yellowstone National Park, USA." Water Pollution X. Eds. A. M. Marinov and C.A. Brebbia. Vol. 135 WIT Transactions, X. Wessex Institute of Technology, Southampton: WIT Press, 2010: 143-155. <www.witpress.com>
- Miller, A Woodruff and Everett James Nelson. "Hydrologic evaluation of flood flows from a burned watershed." Flood Recovery, Innovation and Response II. Eds. D. de Wrachien, D. Proverbs, C.A. Brebbia & S. Mambretti. Vol. 133 of WIT Transactions, II. Wessex Institute of Technology, Southampton: WIT Press, 2010: 257-268. <www.witpress.com>
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Member of ASCE, AWRA and ASEE
Honors and Awards
- Karl G. Maeser Distinguished Teaching Award from Brigham Young University, (1988)
- BYU Blue Key Professor of the Year/Recognition of Excellence Award, (1993)
- Outstanding College Teacher Award, College of Engineering, (1988)
- Utah Engineering Educator of the Year, Utah Engineers Joint Council, (1993)
- Utah Civil Engineering Educator of the Year, Utah Section of ASCE, (1992)
- Utah Water Engineering Educator of the Year, Utah Section of AWRA, (2001)
- Excellence in Education Award 2013, Fulton College of Engr. & Technology (2013)
- Outstanding Faculty Award 2011, BYU Civil Engineering Dept. (2010 - 2011)
- Recipient, King and Dianne Husein Professorship, BYU, CEEn Dept., (2008 - 2011)
- Excellent Engineering Educator Award, BYU, CEEn Dept., (2005 - 2006)
- Teacher of the Year Award, Civil Engineering Department, BYU (2005, 2003, 1999, 1998, 1995, 1994, 1993 1992, 1990, 1989, 1987)
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- Department Chair, Civil and Environmental Engineering, (2000-2006)
- Graduate Coordinator, Civil and Environmental Engineering, (1985-2000)
- Member, Orem City Metropolitan Water Board, (1980-1990)
- Member, Exec. Committee, Utah Section American Water Res. Assoc., (1988-2006)
- Member, Provo City Metropolitan Water Board, (2005-present)