Hydrology & GIS
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1994.
Contact Info - Office:
242K Clyde Building
E. James Nelson
|Brigham Young University||PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1994.|
|Brigham Young University||MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering 1990.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1989.|
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (2008-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (2003-2008)
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (1996-2003)
- Research Lab Manager, Environmental Modeling Research Laboratory (EMRL) at Brigham Young, (1989-1996
- Publication and software development in geographic information and hydrologic modeling science arena.
- Interaction with industry through teaching short courses to government, education, and private institutions on spatial data modeling of hydrologic systems
- Developer of an international study abroad program to Mexico
- Occasional consulting on hydrologic modeling projects
Consulting and Patents
- Primary Architect of the Watershed Modeling System (WMS) used by thousands of government, education, and private institutions in more than 100 countries worldwide
- Industrial Consultant and Trainer on the use of WMS, (1996-present)
- Software Products Developed:
- The Watershed Modeling System – distributed commercially through Aquaveo LLC
- HY-8 Culvert Analysis – Public domain software developed for the Federal Highways Administration for hydraulic design and analysis of culverts.
- Hydraulic Toolkit for Transportation Engineers – Public domain software developed for use by transportation engineers in the design and analysis of channels, detention basins, weirs, and storm hydraulic structures.
Principal Publications in the Last Five Years
- Christensen, Tatevik T, Everett James Nelson, Fernando S Fonseca, and A Woodruff Miller. "Enhancing the Civil Engineering Capstone Program Through On- Campus Internships and Graduate Student Mentors." Proceedings of the 2013 ASEE Conference. ASEE, 2013.
- Rangel-Peraza, Jesus Gabriel, Oliver Obregon, Everett James Nelson, Gus P Williams, Jose De Anda, and Jerry Miller. "The Use of Digital Elevation Models (DEM) for Bathymetry Development in Large Tropical Reservoirs." Bathymetry and Its Applications. ISBN 978-953-307-959-2. Intech, 2012. <www.intechopen.com/books/show/title/bathymetry-and-its-applications>
- Obregon, Oliver, Gus P Williams, Everett James Nelson, José de Anda, Jerry Miller, Dana Erickson, Fernando A. González-Faría, and Jesús G Rangel-Peraza. "Early Water Quality Modeling With Minimal Data To Support Management Decisions: A Case Study Of Aguamilpa Reservoir." David Publishing 5.6 (2011): 667-681. <www.davidpublishing.com/>
- Paudel, Murari, Everett James Nelson, Charles W. Downer, and Rollin Hull Hotchkiss. "Comparison of Lumped and Quasi-Distributed Clark Runoff Models Using the SCS Curve Number Equation." Journal of Hydroinformatics (2011).
- Nelson, Everett James, Murari Paudel, and William Scharffenberg. "Comparison of Lumped and Quasi-Distributed Clark Runoff Models Using the SCS Curve Number Equation." ASCE 14 (2009): 1098-1106.
- Alejandro D’Urquiza, Jose de Anda, and E. James Nelson, “The Water Balance for Reservoirs and its Application to Tropical Latitudes.” Journal of Environmental Hydrology, Volume 17, Paper 25, Oct. 2009.
- Nelson, E. James, Gustavious P. Williams, Paul W. Richards, Grant G. Schultz, Travis Wight, and Jeff D. Armstrong, “Assessing State Engineering Examining Boards and Higher Education’s Response to the 2006 NCEES Model Law for Professional Engineering Licensure,” American Society for Engineering Education, Proceedings of the Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition (CD-ROM), Austin, TX, 2009.
- Nelson, E. James, Rollin H. Hotchkiss, Lourdes Manley, Oscar Dzul, and Joshua Draper, “Developing an International Study Abroad Program that is Sustainable from Both Faculty and Student Perspectives,” American Society for Engineering Education, Proceedings of the Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition (CD-ROM), Austin, TX, 2009.
- Paudel, Murari, E. James Nelson, and Charles W. Downer, “Assessment of Lumped, Quasi-Distributed and Distributed Hydrologic Models of the US Army Corps of Engineers,” ASCE Conference Proceedings 342, 600, Kansas City, Mo., May 2009.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Member of ASCE
- Corresponding member at BYU for the Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Sciences Inc. (CUAHSI).
- Regular reviewer for the ASCE Journal of Hydrology as well as periodically reviewing other papers and proposals.
- Member of an ASCE task committee on GIS Modules and Distributed Models of the Watershed.
- Honorary member of the Joint Wadi Hydrology and Groundwater Protection Network for the UNESCO Arab Region.
Honors and Awards
- BYU Ira A Fulton College of Engineering Outstanding Citizenship Award - 2009
- BYU Civil and Environmental Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award – 2006
- BYU Ira A Fulton College of Engineering Global Study Fellowship - 2006
- BYU Office of Research and Creative Activities Technology Transfer Award – 2003
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- Graduate Coordinator, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, (2004-present)
- Member of the Environmental Modeling Research Lab, BYU, (1996-Present)
- Director, Mexico Engineering Study Abroad Program, BYU, (2004-Present)