Hydraulics & Water Resources
Ph.D. University of Minnesota, Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering, 1989.
Contact Info - Office:
368C Clyde Building
Rollin H. Hotchkiss
|University of Minnesota||PhD, Civil Engineering, 1989.|
|Utah State University||MS, Civil Engineering 1979.|
|Brigham Young University||BS, Civil Engineering, 1976.|
Principal Publications in the Last Five Years
- George, Matthew W., Rollin H. Hotchkiss, and Ray Huffaker. Reservoir Sustainability and Sediment Management. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. Just Released Oct 24.
- Hinton, Darren and Rollin H. Hotchkiss. Comprehensive and Quality-Controlled Bedload Transport Database. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Just Released Sep 28.Thiele, Elizabeth A., Rollin H. Hotchkiss, and Philip L. Thompson. 2009. Discussion of “Hydraulic performance curves for highway culverts.” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 135(3): 242-244, March
- Kern, Ed, Rollin H. Hotchkiss and Daniel P. Ames. 2015. Introducing a Low-Head Dam Fatality Database and Internet Information Portal Journal of the American Water Resources Association 51(5): 1453-1459, October.
- Pineda-Martínez, Luis F., Oscar Dzul García, and Rollin H. Hotchkiss. 2014. Implications of Maximum Daily Precipitation on streamflow of a watershed: a case Study in Zacatecas, Mexico. International Journal of River Basin Management 12(4): 411-418.
- Kondolf, G. Mathias, Yongxuan Gao, George W. Annandale, Gregory L. Morris , Enhui Jiang, Junhua Zhang, Yongtao Cao, Paul Carling, Kaidao Fu, Qingchao Guo, Rollin Hotchkiss, Christopher Peteuil, Tetsuya Sumi, Hsiao-Wen Wang, Zhongmei Wang, Zhilin Wei, Baosheng Wu, Caiping Wu, Chih and Ted Yang. 2014. Sustainable Sediment Management in Reservoirs and Regulated Rivers: Experiences from Five Continents. American Geophysical Union Earth’s Future, 2, p. 256 – 280. doi: 10.1002/2013EF000184.
- Lowe, Nathan J., Rollin H. Hotchkiss, and E. James Nelson. 2011. Theoretical determination of sequent depths in closed conduits. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 137(12): 801-810, December.
- Paudel, Murari, E. James Nelson, Charles W. Downer and Rollin Hotchkiss. 2011. Comparing the capability of distributed and lumped hydrologic models for analyzing the effects of land use change. Journal of Hydroinformatics 13(3): 461473.
- Ira A. Fulton Professorship in Leadership, College of Engineering and Technology, Brigham Young University (2010 – Present)
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, BYU, (2005-present)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, (1998-2005)
- Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, (1995 – 1998)
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, (1989 – 1995)
- Civil Engineer, Flood Protection Branch, Tennessee Valley Authority, (1979-1985)
- Consistent involvement in professional organizations in technical and educational areas
- Teaching professional short courses in culvert and river hydraulics
- Occasional consulting
Consulting and Patents
- Expert Witness for flooding issues, (1995-present)
- Development of Culvert Design Procedures, (2007 - present)
- Stream Restoration (2010 – present)
States in which Professionally Licensed
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers and International Association of Hydraulic Research
- Organizing Committee for 33rd Congress of IAHR, 2009 in Vancouver, B.C.
- Technical Program Co-Chair, 2000 ASCE Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty Teacher, voted by students, 2008, 2009
- Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology Excellence in Education Award, 2006
- Leon Luck Most Effective Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, 2005
- Reviewer’s Award, Hydro Review, 2005
- Nominated for Advisor of the Year, 2004
Institutional and Professional Service in the Last Five Years
- President Elect, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), October 2009 - Present
- Vice President, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), October 2008 – September 2009
- Treasurer, Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI), (October 2007 – September 2008)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Committee on the Missouri River Recover and Associated Sediment Management Issues, 2008 – 2010.
- Secretary General, International Coordinating Committee on Reservoir Sedimentation (ICCORES), (1993 – present)
- Member, UNESCO Task Force on International Sedimentation Initiative, (2001 – present)
- Member, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Governing Documents Committee, (2006 – 2009)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, (1997 – 2008)
- Vice Chair and Secretary, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Technical Executive Committee, (2005 – 2008)
- Member, Transportation Research Board Committee AFB60, Hydrology, Hydraulics, and Water Quality, (1996 – 2008)
- Member, Task Committee on Sediment Dynamics upon Dam Removal, (2001 – 2006)
- Chair, Environmental and Water Resources Institute Watershed Council, (2003 – 2006)
- Member, Leadership Committee, BYU College of Engineering and Architecture, (2005 – present)
- Associate Department Chair,(2006 – 2012)
- Department Chair (2012-Present)